Søk i denne bloggen

Laster inn...

torsdag 31. mai 2012

Bok: "The Secret Garden"

Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett, Robin Lawrie (Illustrations)
Publication year: 1911
Mi copy: 1994
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Puffin Classics
From: My bookshelf

From the back of the book: Nine-year-old Mary Lennox has lost her parents, and is starting a new life in her uncle's gloomy mansion on the English moors. She is miserable and lonely until the wonderful day she discovers a hidden door to a mysterious garden.

Denne omtalen er skrevet på engelsk pga samlesning med andre bloggere organisert av Sheila.

I read this book four years ago, for the first time. The whole time I was looking for things that happened in the 1993 movie. I've seen that movie a million times, and I love it. This time I knew what I went into, and the book is magic.

India was in those days a common place for English Government, and this is where Mary Lennox and her parents reside. Mary is a lonely child, and her parents are more occupied by parties and fancy people than by their daughter. She is being taken care of by her Ajah (nanny), but when colera breaks out, Mary finds herself alone in the big house. By chance she is found, and learns that her parents are dead. Her only living relative is her uncle, Lord Archibald Craven, and Mary is being shipped to England.

Over a hundred rooms, servants, footmen, scary headmistress Mrs. Medlock - and Mary is still alone in the world. One of the young servants, Martha Sowerby, takes a liking to her. After a little fight between the two of them (Martha was curious about Mary because she thought Mary would be coloured), they form a friendship. Martha brings up her food, and teaches Mary how to dress herself. Lord Craven is away most of the time travelling and trying his best to forget his wife's death, and Mary basically gets to do what she wants - outside.

From being thin and sourly, her appetite increases with all her playing outside, and one day she discovers a hidden garden. With the help from Martha's brother, Dickon, the garden is brought to life. At night, when Mary can't sleep she sometimes hear someone crying, and the third time she decides to find out what it is. She discovers Lord Craven's hidden son, ten-year-old Colin Craven.

Colin is a sickly boy, loney just like Mary, and the two of them finds eachother. Colin has ruled the house for ten years, with his tantrums, dislikes, hysterics and what-nots. What he needs is someone to stand up against him, and Mary does that with all her might. Mary and Dickon take Colin out into the garden, and there he learns that he is not at all sick like everyone thought, and he learns to walk. Colin is a big believer in magic, and his biggest wish is that his father will come home, and see him in daylight. Dickon and Martha's mother writes to Lord Craven and asks him to come home, and after a dream of seeing his dead wife in the garden, Lord Craven returns to Misselthwaite Manor.

I love this book! I feel sorry for Colin and Mary and my heart leaps with joy when they figure out how to be happy, and Dickon is just magic! Read it!

XOXO

8 kommentarer:

  1. This was my first time reading this book and I love it.

    SvarSlett
  2. Jeg synes også dette er en fantastisk bra bok. Sammen med Mio min Mio var dette den boken jeg leste flest ganger da jeg var barn.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Eg har faktisk aldri lest den som barn, har lest den nå to ganger etter fylte 20 år:-)

      Slett
  3. I have no idea how many times I have read this book, over and over as a child - and now I feel like I might do it again, hopefully I will still love it.

    SvarSlett
  4. I LOVE this story and I recently bought a brand new copy of it to read with my oldest :)

    SvarSlett
  5. thank you for being part of today's Secret Garden Party !
    i'm glad we enjoyed this book together :)

    SvarSlett
  6. The cover on your copy is fun! I haven't see that one before!! Glad to have found you through the Garden Party!!

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    SvarSlett
  7. Har lest den litt, men ikke fullført:) Skjønner jeg må prøve meg på den igjen:) Ha en flott helg:)

    SvarSlett